Current:Home > MarketsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -TradeWisdom
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:24:28
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (76)
Related
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- COVID lockdowns and mail-in ballots: Inside the Trump-fueled conspiracy spreading online
- USC football suspends reporter from access to the team; group calls move an 'overreaction'
- Kraft issues recall of processed American cheese slices due to potential choking hazard
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Bill for preserving site of Wounded Knee massacre in South Dakota passes U.S. House
- Federal Reserve pauses interest rate hikes — for now
- Governor appoints Hollis T. Lewis to West Virginia House
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Minnesota woman made $117,000 running illegal Facebook lottery, police say
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Pennsylvania’s Senate wants an earlier 2024 presidential primary, partly to have a say on nominees
- India suspends visa services in Canada and rift widens over killing of Canadian citizen
- Behind all the speechmaking at the UN lies a basic, unspoken question: Is the world governable?
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- As writers and studios resume negotiations, here are the key players in the Hollywood strikes
- Tuberville tries to force a vote on single military nomination as he continues blockade
- McDonald's faces lawsuit over scalding coffee that left woman with severe burns
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
DJ Khaled Reveals How Playing Golf Has Helped Him Lose Weight
Texas teacher fired over Anne Frank graphic novel. The complaint? Sexual content
Revolving door redux: The DEA’s recently departed No. 2 returns to a Big Pharma consulting firm
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
David Beckham Netflix docuseries gets release date and trailer amid Inter Miami CF hype
UAW strike latest: GM sends 2,000 workers home in Kansas
Kraft recall: American cheese singles recalled for potential gagging, choking hazard